Monday 10 September 2012

Je suis arrivé!

I am officially living in Brussels now! Well, in the sense that I occupy a room here and I pay rent and work here and basically do everything here, but not legally, because I'm not registered as a resident.

The journey was actually quite enjoyable, although not being able to straighten my legs for the last 4 hours did make me a bit crippled, but despite this I managed to pass the time from London to Brussels very well after I made friends with 3 girls sat near me who were going to Amsterdam. I didn't sleep, but doing the journey by myself and only saying a fleeting goodbye to my parents on Friday morning meant I was pretty all over the place, so the distraction was nice and they were lovely people to spend the journey with.

My room (pictures below) is quite big, lots of storage space etc., and I look forward to having a cup of tea on the balcony in the mornings. Yes I have already bought and made myself a cup of tea, what can I say, I just can't resist home comforts. I also accidentally bought chocolate filled with rum truffle, which will teach me not to wear my glasses when I go shopping and everything is in French and Dutch. I now have a phone number, and I've explored Etterbeek and some more of Brussels with my house mate Rosa, we went to Saint-Catherine, saw Grand-Place and 100s of stalls selling waffles for €1.

I met my landlady when I arrived, she  is so lovely and helpful ( which is exactly what you need when you arrive when it's still dark and you haven't slept since that time yesterday), and everyone else pretty briefly and me and Rosa were out all day yesterday and everyone works during the week. Everyone has been very welcoming and nice and I'm sure I'll enjoy it here. I definitely feel much further away here than I did at University though, despite the fact that I'm basically speaking to everyone as much as I would do if I were still in the UK, but I'm sure once I'm more settled I'll feel much more at home :)[gallery]

That's all for now!

Au revoir!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment