Thursday 7 August 2014

Book Wish List


The one thing I promised myself whilst I was in my final year of university, was that after it was over I would start reading for pleasure again. Something I hadn't managed to do since I was in Brussels. 
I actually promised myself two things; the second one was that I would never think about the UN again. That one was just a stressed promise though, I've already thought about the UN numerous times actually, because that's how I choose to enjoy myself.
So this is a wish list post of all the books I want to read, hopefully within the next year. 


Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China - Guy Delisle
Burma Chronicles - Guy Delisle
Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City - Guy Delisle
Footnotes in Gaza - Joe Sacco
The Great War - Joe Sacco
Safe Area Goradze - Joe Sacco 
The Fixer: A Story from Sarajevo - Joe Sacco
Palestine - Joe Sacco

The books in the first section are graphic novels from two travelling journalists/cartoonists who document their travels in graphic novel form. They're part of my new found love affair with graphic novels which also feed my want to buy physical books because I can justify not buying them on my Kindle. However much I appreciate it as a space saver, illustrations deserve to be on paper.

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 

These three are the books everyone else seemed to do at school and I've probably just pretended to have read because I've seen the film/TV adaptation or, in the case of To Kill a Mockingbird, the stage play. Basically the books that I know the entire plot to, but I still feel like I should read so I can properly understand why they're considered classics (also thank you to Jenny for recommending Jane Eyre so highly when I'd convinced myself I wouldn't like it).

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut 
American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis 
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
Middlemarch - George Eliot
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
The Outsider - Albert Camus & Sandra Smith 

These are books that seem to be on every '100 books to read...' list I've ever seen and, after having a quick scan of the blurbs, I've decided I might quite enjoy.

Hard Choices - Hillary Rodham Clinton
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
A History of the World - Andrew Marr
Dear Leader - Jang Jin-Sung
How to be a Woman - Caitlin Moran
The Zhivago Affair - Peter Finn & Petra Couvee

The final section is non-fiction, the majority of which being history related as I look forward to my masters/worry that I don't know every event so far in history. 

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

These final two are because I feel like I don't read enough new literature and they've both had brilliant reviews whilst at the same time looking like exactly the sort of thing I would enjoy. 

I'll definitely do reviews on these as I read them so I'll post those either here or over on the Student Noodles site. Hope you've enjoyed my list! 
xx

1 comment:

  1. To KIll a Mockingbird is on my wish list too :)
    I nominated you for Liebster Award and more details you can find in my post:

    http://amyzworld1.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award.html

    xx Amy

    ReplyDelete