Tuesday 29 July 2014

Two Weeks in Malaysia


I wish I could tell you that the reason there are so few shots of my face is because we spent those two weeks perfecting artistic photographs, but that would be incorrect. Actually there are lots of photos of my face, unfortunately it spent most of the time being pink and sweaty.

Petronas Towers, KL. 
We spent the first few days in Kuala Lumpur, where we visited these massive towers. We also walked along the bridge you can see in the middle there but on those photos there's just a hint of mild terror in my eyes. They're not blog-worthy, put it that way. We also ate some amazing food in Kuala Lumpur and I'll put a list of recommendations if you're visiting at the bottom including places I went and other recommendations I've had since coming back.

Batu Caves, KL
Before heading towards the coast on an overnight train we visited the Batu Caves; Hindu shrine and very very big limestone hill. It is in fact the biggest Hindu shrine outside of India and hosts the biggest statue of Murugan (Hindu deity, god of war and victory) in the world (above).
There were also monkeys: 



And I wore this very fetching helmet when we explored the Dark Caves, which are, as you would imagine, not very well lit, but also very full of creepy wildlife.

Dark Caves tour in the Batu Caves, KL
Then we headed across the water to spend the rest of our trip on the Perhentian islands - 4 days each on Besar (big island) and then Kecil (small island). I don't think any of the photos we took can properly show how beautiful the islands were or how clear the water was but I would definitely recommend them if anyone was going to Malaysia and the sea kayaking and snorkelling we did there are some of my favourite memories of the trip.


Snorkelling - Perhentian Besar




Then, as a stop off on our way back to KL to fly home, we went to Kota Bharu. Lonely Planet would have you believe that KB is 'busy', with a 'superb' spread of food and accommodation; Lonely Planet have sold many people a lie. If you're thinking you want to go to Kota Bharu, then you're wrong, you don't. 
That being said, KB was only 24 hours of what was a brilliant trip and I would recommend Malaysia very highly to anyone looking to travel in Asia. 

Recommendations: 
Din Tai Fung - Kuala Lumpur
Tuna Bay Resort restaurant - Perhentian Besar
Shari-La Island Resort - Perhentian Kecil
If you go to the islands I would strongly recommend the sea-kayaking and snorkelling, the sea kayaks we hired on Besar and we did the snorkelling there too but the same trips are also available if you go from Kecil. 

Hope you enjoyed reading about my travelling trip, sorry it's taken to long to publish, it's taken me a while to compile the photos and remember everything we did! 

xx

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing time! I leave in 12 days so thanks for the recommendations! We are doing penang - kota bharu (will now not be spending long there!) - Perhentian then down to KL - cameron highlands look so good to but such a bugger to get to by the looks of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so exciting - have an amazing time! Haha yeah it is really mis-sold and there was basically nothing there, we also really struggled to find a restaurant which was open after about 8pm which wasn't great! I know they look so beautiful don't they but we couldn't figure out a way of getting there either, hopefully we'll be there again at some point and get to see all the stuff we missed first time round!

      Delete